Brent Pelham, Hertfordshire
Brent-Pelham, a parish in Herts, on the verge of the county, 5 miles E of Buntingford station on the G.E.R. It has a post office under Buntingford (R.S.O.), which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1636; population of the civil parish, 215; of the ecclesiastical, with Furneaux-Pelham, 755. The living is a vicarage, united with Furneaux-Pelham, in the diocese of St Albans; joint gross yearly value, £360. Patron, the Bishop of St Albans. The church is a building of flint in the Early English style. Pelham Hall is a chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Brent Pelham Virgin Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bishop-Stortford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Brent Pelham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Pelham, Brent (Virgin Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Brent Pelham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.