Bramfield, Braintfield, or Brantfield, Hertfordshire
Bramfield, Braintfield, or Brantfield, a village and a parish in Hertfordshire, near the river Beane, 3¼ miles NW of Hertford railway station. Post town, Hertford, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage of parish, 1609; population, 213. Bramfield House, formerly called Green Hall, is a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; gross value, £303. The church is a building of stuccoed brick in the Early English style. Thomas a Becket was rector, and a pond in the parish is still called after his name.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Braintfield St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Hertford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bramfield, Braintfield, or Brantfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Braintfield (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.