Bovingdon, a parish in Herts, on the verge of the county, near the N.W.R. and the Grand Junction Canal, 2 miles SW of Boxmoor railway station, 3½ SSE of Berkhampstead. It has a post and money order office under Hemel-Hempstead; telegraph office, Boxmoor. Acreage, 3958.;. population, 1056. The living is a vicarage, united with Bourne-End, in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £250 with residence. Patron, Trustees. The church is a building of flint and stone in the Gothic style, originally erected about 1340, and rebuilt in 1856. It contains some ancient tombs and monuments. There are Baptist and Congregational chapels. Bourne-End and Box-Lane are adjacent hamlets. There is a school chapel at Bourne-End.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Civil parish||Hemel Hempstead|
|Poor Law union||Hemel-Hempstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bovingdon from the following:
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Bovingdon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.