Bennington, a village and a parish in the county of Hertford. The village stands near the river Beane, and near a branch Roman way, 5 miles ESE of Stevenage, and 6 from Stevenage station on the G.N.R. It has a post and money order office under Stevenage; telegraph office, Walkern. It was formerly a market-town, and has still a pleasure fair on 10 July. The parish comprises 3060 acres; population of the civil parish, 627; of the ecclesiastical, 617. The manor belonged to the Benstedes, the Cæsars, and the Earl of Essex, and belongs now to the Proctors. An ancient palace of the kings of Mercia stood here, and either that or a castle which succeeded it is now indicated by an entrenched eminence. Bennington Park, to the east, is a fine seat. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £362 with residence. Patron, trustees. The church contains some ancient monuments, and is good. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel, and there are a few small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Bennington St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Hertford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Bennington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Bennington (St. Peter))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.