Barley, a village and a parish in Herts, on the NE verge of the county, 3 miles SE of Royston station on the G.N.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Royston. Acreage, 2725; population, 574. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £323 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1872, with the exception of the fourth aisle and the ancient Norman tower. There is a chapel used chiefly by the Congregationalists.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Barley St. Margaret|
|Poor Law union||Royston|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Barley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Barley (St. Margaret))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Barley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.