Aston, a village and a parish in Hertfordshire, on the river Beane, 4 miles SE of Stevenage, and 2½ NE of Knebworth station on the G.N.R. It has a post and money order office under Stevenage; the telegraph office being Knebworth station. Acreage, 2070; population, 541. The manor-house, at Aston Place, is a building of older date than the time of Henry VIII.; one room at the top of this house is 113 feet long. Six large barrows, supposed to be Danish, occur contiguous to the public road, close to Stevenage. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net value, £350. The church is an ancient building of flint and stone.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aston St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Hertford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Aston (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Aston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.