Aspenden or Aspeden, Hertfordshire
Aspenden or Aspeden, a parish and a village in Herts, on the river Rib, 1 mile W of Buntingford station on the G.E.R. It includes part of the post town of Buntingford, which is the money order and telegraph office. Acreage, 1711; population of the civil parish, 658; of the ecclesiastical, 408. Aspenden Hall, the seat of the Lushington family, and its park is a prominent feature. Aspenden Lodge is also a chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £408. Patron, the Earl of Mexborough. The church contains a curious monument to Sir Robert Clifford, master of the ordnance to Henry VII., and other tombs and brasses, and is in good condition.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aspeden St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Buntingford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aspenden or Aspeden from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Aspeden (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.