Ardeley or Yardley, Hertfordshire
Ardeley or Yardley, a parish in Herts, on the river Beane, 4½ miles SW by W of Buntingford station on the Great Eastern railway. Post town, Stevenage; money order and telegraph office, Walkern. Acreage, 2424; population, 464. The manor was given by Athelstane to the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. Ardeley-Bury belonged once to the Cornwalls, then to the Chaunceys, and passed to the Murrays. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; value, £180 with residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of St Paul's. The church was repaired in 1859. Ardeley-Bury is a chief residence. The hamlets of this parish include Cromer and Woodend, in each of which there is a small chapel of ease, and at the latter a Congregational chapel, Parkers Green, Moor Green, Munches Green, and Gardeners End, with portions of Hare Street and Luffenhall.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Yardley St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Buntingford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ardeley or Yardley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Yardley (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.