Aldenham, a village and a parish in Herts, near the Colne river, 3 miles NE of Watford, and 2 W from Radlett station on the M.R, with a post and money order office under Elstree (R.S.O.); telegraph office, Radlett station. Area, 6033 acres of land and 80 of water; population of the civil parish, 2085; of the ecclesiastical, 1260. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; gross yearly value, £567 with residence. The church, which is interesting and beautiful, is Early English, of cemented flint stones, in very good condition. Platt's almshouses are well endowed, and his grammar school has an income of £2200. The parish includes the hamlets of Kemprow and Patchet's Green, and the villages of Letchmore Heath and Radlett. The latter was made an ecclesiastical parish in 1865. The living is a vicarage; net yearly value, £210 with residence, in the gift of the Vicar of Aldenham. The church, a building of flint and stone, was erected in 1864. The hamlet of Theobald Street is included in Radlett. One of the chief landowners is Lord Rendlesham.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aldenham St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Watford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aldenham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Aldenham (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Aldenham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.