Aldbury, a parish in Herts, under the Chiltern Hills, 1 mile E of Tring station on the L. & N.W.R., and 4¼ miles NNW of Berkhampstead. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Tring. Acreage, 2027; population, 894. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St Albans, yearly value from tithe rent charge, £292 with residence. Patron, Earl Brownlow. The church is Early English, with a square embattled tower, and contains some ancient tombs. On Aldbury Hill, there is a granite column, nearly 200 feet high, erected in 1832 in memory of the third Duke of Bridgewater.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Aldbury St. John the Baptist|
|Poor Law union||Berkhampstead|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Aldbury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Aldbury (St. John the Baptist))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Aldbury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.