Albury, a parish in Herts, on the river Ash, 3½ miles E of Braughing and Standon stations on the G.E.R., and 5½ NW of Bishop-Stortford. It has a post office under Much Hadham (S.O.); money order and telegraph office, Puckeridge. Area, 3238 acres of land and 10 of water; population, 563. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; yearly value from tithe rent charge, £250 with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of St Albans. The church contains a brass of Sir R. Verney, and a tomb of Sir Walter De la Lee of Albury Hall. The parish contains the hamlets of Albury End, Church End, Clapgate, Patmore Heath, Upwich, and Gravesend. Albury Hall, a country seat here, has a fine park of about 200 acres.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Albury St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Bishop-Stortford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Albury from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Albury (St. Mary))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Albury are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.