Abbots Langley, Hertfordshire
Abbots-Langley or Chiltern Langley, a parish in Herts. It lies on the Graiyl Junction Canal and the L. & N.W.R., 1 mile SE of King's Langley station, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office under King's Langley. The parish was the birthplace of Nicholas de Breakspear, Pope Adrian IV.; and was given to the abbots of St Albans " to find them in clothes." The living is a vicarage in the diocese of St Albans; net yearly value, £218 with residence. The church is partly Norman, partly of later date, and contains an ancient font and some handsome monuments. There is also a small iron church at Bedmont, and Baptist, Congregational, and Wesleyan chapels. Cecil Lodge, Manor House, and Langley House are country residences here. A pleasure fair is held here on 1 May. The parish, which includes the hamlets of Bedmont, Sheppeys, Kitters Green, and Trolley Bottom, has an area of 5255 acres of land and 26 of water; population of the civil parish, 3230 , of the ecclesiastical, 1861.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Abbots Langley St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Watford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Abbots Langley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Langley, Abbots (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
A full transcript of the Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hertfordshire is online.
Online maps of Abbots Langley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hertfordshire newspapers online:
- Hertford Mercury and Reformer
- Herts Guardian, Agricultural Journal, and General Advertiser
- Watford Observer
The Visitations of Hertfordshire, 1572 and 1634. Edited by Walter C. Metcalfe, F.S.A. is available on the Heraldry page.