Abbotston, a hamlet and a parish in Hants. The hamlet lies 2½ miles NW of Alresford, and 7 ESE of Micheldever railway station. The parish is a rectory, united with the vicarage of Itchin-Stoke, in the diocese of Winchester. It contains a ruined church and part of an old mansion of the Paulets. See ITCHIN-STOKE.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Abbotston St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Alresford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Abbotston from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Abbotston (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Abbotston are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.