Yaverland, Isle of Wight
Yaverland, a parish in the Isle of Wight, on Sandown Bay, 2 miles from Sandown station on the Isle of Wight railway, and 8 miles ESE of Newport. Post town, Brading. Acreage, 818; population, 94. The living is a rectory in diocese of Winchester; net value, £110 with residence. The church is an ancient edifice of Brittany stone in the Norman style, and was thoroughly restored and enlarged in 1889. A beautiful reredos of alabaster and mosaics was added.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Yaverland from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Yaverland)
Online maps of Yaverland are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.