Yateley, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands 2½ miles WNW of Blackwater station on the South-Eastern railway, and 5½ S of Wokingham, and has a post, money order, and telegraph office. The parish contains three tithings, and comprises 3222 acres; population of the civil parish, 1238; of the ecclesiastical parish, 966. The living is a vicarage, with Minley annexed, in the diocese of Winchester; net joint value, £375, Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church is a building in the Early English style, and has been well restored. There is a Baptist chapel at Cricket Hill.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Yately St. Peter|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Yateley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Yately (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Yateley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.