Wootton, Isle of Wight
Wootton, a parish in the Isle of Wight, on a creek of its own name, with a station on the Isle of Wight Central railway, 85 miles from London and 4 from Ryde. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office. Acreage, 1072; population of the civil parish, 97; of the ecclesiastical, 106. For parish council purposes it has been joined to Whippingham. The seat of the De Insulas or Lisles was long here, but the park was destroyed in 1705. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £280 with residence. The church, which is an ancient building of stone in the Gothic style, has been restored. Two Wesleyan chapels are adjacent to the parish at Wootton Bridge. Woodside is the chief residence.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wootton St. Edmund|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wootton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wootton (St. Edmund))
Online maps of Wootton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.