Woodmancote, a parish in Hants, 4½ miles NE of Micheldever station on the L. & S.W.R., and 8 SW of Basingstoke. Post town, Micheldever station. Acreage, 1404; population of the civil parish, 62; of the ecclesiastical, 176. The Warden and Fellows of Winchester have been lords of the manor of Woodmancote for 350 years. The living is a vicarage, united with Popham, in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £142 with residence. Patron, Lord Ashburton. The church is a small but handsome edifice of stone in the Norman style, and was erected in 1855.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Woodmancott St. James|
|Poor Law union||Basingstoke|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Woodmancote from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Woodmancott (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Woodmancote are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.