Cuddington, a parish in Bucks, on the river Thame, 5 miles NE by N of Thame station on the G.W.R., and 5½ WSW of Aylesbury. It has a post office under Aylesbury; money order office, Dinton; telegraph office, Haddenham. Acreage, 1308; population, 443. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; gross yearly value, £137 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Rochester. The church is Early English; consists of nave, chancel, and aisles, with square embattled tower, and is very good. There are Baptist and Wesleyan chapels, and some small charities.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Cuddington St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Aylesbury|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1651.
Church of England
St. Nicholas (parish church)
The parish church of St. Nicholas is an ancient building of stone in mixed styles, chiefly Early English and Decorated, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower with turret, containing a clock and 6 bells: there is an elegant alabaster reredos: all the windows in the chancel are stained, one being a memorial to John Franklin esq.: in the south aisle is a piscina: the font and south doorway are Late Norman: there is a memorial to Nicholas Almond esq. ob. 1643: the church was thoroughly restored in 1857 and affords 275 sittings. At the entrance to the churchyard is a Cornish granite cross, of ancient design, erected to the memory of the men of the parish who gave their lives in the Great War, 1914-18; the names are inscribed on the base of the cross.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Cuddington was in Aylesbury Registration District from 1837 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Cuddington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Cuddington (St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Cuddington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online