Wield, a parish in Hants, 4 miles N of Medstead station, and 6½ W of Alton station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Alresford. Acreage, 2104; population, 234. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £95. Patron, the Earl of Portsmouth. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Norman style, and contains a magnificent monument of alabaster to William Wallop, Esq.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Wield St. James|
|Poor Law union||Alton|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Wield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Wield (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.