Whitwell, Isle of Wight
Whitwell, a parish, with Whitwell village and part of Nettlecombe tithing, in the Isle of Wight, on the coast, 3 miles W of Ventnor, and 2 from Wroxall station on the Isle of Wight Central railway. It has a post and money order office under Ventnor; telegraph office, Niton. Acreage, 1909; population, 653. Whitwell Shute is a gap with a steep road through a ridge of hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £130 with residence. The church is a curious building of stone formed from two ancient chapels, and is in the Norman style. There is a Preventive station in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Whitwell St. Radegund|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Whitwell from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Whitwell (St. Radegund))
Online maps of Whitwell are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.