UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Whitsbury or Whitchbury, Hampshire

Historical Description

Whitsbury or Whitchbury, a parish partly in Hants, but chiefly in Wiltshire, 2½ miles W of Breamore station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3½ NNW of Fordingbridge. Post town, Fordingbridge, under Salisbury. Acreage, 1824; population of the civil parish, 147; of the ecclesiastical, 174. The manor belonged once to Breamore Priory. A Saxon camp of 15½ acres is on a hill. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £150 with residence. The church is a structure of stone in the Early English style, and was restored in 1878.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHampshire 
Ecclesiastical parishWhitsbury St. Leonard 
HundredCawden and Cadworth 
Poor Law unionFordingbridge 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Whitsbury or Whitchbury from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Whitsbury or Whitchbury are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.