West Tytherley, Hampshire
Tytherley, West, a parish in Hants, 2 miles NNE of Dean station on the L. & S.W.R., and 7 SW of Stockbridge. It has a post and money order office under Salisbury; telegraph office, Dean railway station. Acreage, 2918; population of the civil parish, 515; of the ecclesiastical, 416. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £290 with residence. The church was rebuilt in 1833, and has a square embattled tower.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Stockbridge|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Tytherley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tytherley West)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of West Tytherley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.