West Meon, Hampshire
Meon, West, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands 8 miles NE of Bishops Waltham station on the L. & S.W.R., and 8 W of Petersfield. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Petersfield. The parish contains also the hamlet of Woodlands. Acreage, 3774; population, 824. The parish council, under the Local Government Act, 1894, consists of nine members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; value, £425 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church was built in 1844-46 at a cost of £12,000, is in the Early English style, and has painted windows and an embattled tower. There is a Congregational chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||West Meon St. John the Evangelist|
|Poor Law union||Droxford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for West Meon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Meon, West (St. John the Evangelist))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of West Meon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
Villages, Hamlets, &cWoodlands
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.