Westend, a village and a parish in Hants, 2 miles from Swaythling station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3½ NE of Southampton. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office in the village, which was constituted an ecclesiastical parish in 1840, with a population of 1778, and a civil parish in 1894. There is a parish council of eight members and a chairman. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £300. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. A church was erected in 1838, which was replaced in 1891 by a new church, a handsome edifice in the Late Perpendicular style. There are Bible Christian and Wesleyan chapels.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Westend are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.