Waterloo or Waterlooville, a parish in Hants, 3 miles from Cosham station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Cosham. Acreage, 652; population, 436. There is a parish council consisting of five members. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £160 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church of St George is a building of brick in mixed styles, with a small embattled tower, and has been restored. There are Baptist and Brethren chapels. The Portsmouth and South Hants Industrial School for girls is in this parish.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Catherington|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Waterlooville from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Waterloo-Ville)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Waterlooville are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.