Warnford, a parish, with Warnford village and Elversdown hamlet, in Hants, 5. miles from Petersfield station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Bishops Waltham; money order and telegraph office, West Meon. Acreage, 3179; population, 255. Warnford Park is the seat of the Woods family. Remains of an ancient manor-house, popularly called King John's House, and forming a fine relic of Early Domestic architecture, are in the grounds. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £490 with residence. The church is Early English, with a Norman tower. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Droxford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Warnford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Warnford)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Warnford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
Villages, Hamlets, &cRiversdown
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.