Upton Gray, Hampshire
Upton Gray, a parish, with Hoddington tithing, in Hants, 4 miles from Hook station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and telegraph office under Winchfield; money order office, Odiham. Acreage, 2553; population of the civil parish, 378; of the ecclesiastical, 356. There is a parish council consisting of five members. Upton Gray House and Hoddington House are the chief residences. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £2 with residence. Patron, Queen's College, Oxford. The church is an ancient structure in the Early English style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Basingstoke|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Upton Gray from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Upton-Gray)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Upton Gray are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.