UK Genealogy Archives logo

Upham, Hampshire

Historical Description

Upham, a parish, with a village, in Hants, 2½ miles NNW of Bishops Waltham station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post and money order office under Bishops Waltham; telegraph office, Bishops Waltham. Acreage, 2883; population, 688. There is a parish council consisting of six members. Relics of a Roman villa were found in 1849. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £260 with residence. The church is in mixed architecture and good. There is a chapel for Bible Christians. Dr Young, author of " Night Thoughts," was a native.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5

Administration

The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHampshire 
HundredBishops Waltham 
Poor Law unionDroxford 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.


Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Upham from the following:


Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.


Maps

Online maps of Upham are available from a number of sites:


Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.

DistrictWinchester
CountyHampshire
RegionSouth East
CountryEngland
Postal districtSO32
Post TownSouthampton