Twyford, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands on the river Itchen, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 68 miles from London. There is a post, money order, and telegraph office under Winchester. The parish includes Hazeley hamlet and part of Shawford. Acreage, 4230; population of the civil parish, 1452; of the ecclesiastical, 1004. There is a parish council consisting of nine members. Twyford House, a handsome brick mansion in the Elizabethan style, is the chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £200 with residence. The church of St Mary was entirely rebuilt in 1878, and is an edifice of stone. There is a Free Methodist chapel. The poet Pope attended a school in the village.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Twyford St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Winchester|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Twyford from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Twyford (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Twyford are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.