Titchfield, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands on the Titchfield river, 1½ mile W of Fareham station on the L. & S.W.R., and 2½ miles NNE of the river's influx to the Solent. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Fareham. Acreage of the civil parish, 15,784; population, 5412; of the ecclesiastical, 1554. It is an ancient place, was long a market-town, gives the title of Marquis to the Duke of Portland, and has two annual fairs. There are tanyards and a brewery. The manor belonged at Domesday to the Crown, was given by Henry III. to Peter de Eupibus, Bishop of Winchester, for the founding of a Premonstratensian Abbey, and went at the dissolution of monasteries to T. Wriothesley, afterwards created Earl of Southampton. The abbey stood to the N of the town, was richly endowed, and is commonly known as Place House. Titchfield House was built by Wriothesley out of the materials of the abbey, is described in records of the time as having been " righte statelie," gave sumptuous entertainment to Edward VI., afforded refuge after his escape from Hampton Court to Charles I., was the birthplace and the early residence of the heroic wife of Lord William Russell, and is now represented by a picturesque lofty gatehouse, and by some other remains. There are numerous good residences in the neighbourhood. The living is a vicarage, with Crofton chapelry, in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £290 with residence. Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Winchester. The church is variously Norman, Early English, Decorated, and Perpendicular, and has been enlarged and restored. There are Congregational and Brethren chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Titchfield St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Fareham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Titchfield from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Titchfield (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Titchfield are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.