Titchborne or Tichborne, Hampshire
Titchborne or Tichborne, a parish, with a village, in Hants, 2 miles SSW of Alresford station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post office under Alresford; money order and telegraph office, Cheriton. Acreage, 3055; population, 301. There is a parish council consisting of six members. Tichborne House belongs to the baronet family of Tichborne, and stands near the site of a castle of the Tichbornes, built in the time of Henry II., successor of a still more ancient residence of the Tichbornes. The living is a perpetual curacy, annexed to Cheriton. The church is an ancient building of flint with a brick tower. There is a Roman Catholic chapel at Tichborne House.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Titchbourn St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Alresford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Titchborne or Tichborne from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Titchbourn (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Titchborne or Tichborne are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.