Thruxton, a parish in Hants, 1 mile from Weyhill station on the M. & S.W. Joint railway, and 5½ miles W of Andover. It has a post office under Andover; money order office, Amport; telegraph office, Weyhill. Acreage, 1565; population of the civil parish, 311; of the ecclesiastical, 332. The manor belongs to St John's Hospital, Winchester. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £357 with residence. The church, an edifice of flint and stone, has been restored. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thruxton Holy Rood|
|Poor Law union||Andover|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thruxton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Thruxton (Holy Rood))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Thruxton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.