Thorley, Isle of Wight
Thorley, a parish in the Isle of Wight, 1 mile SE of Yarmouth. Post town, Yarmouth, Isle of Wight. Acreage, 1581; population, 177. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £100 with residence. The church, a stone building in the Early Decorated style, was erected in 1871.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Thorley St. Mary|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Thorley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Thorley (St. Mary))
Online maps of Thorley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.