Tadley, a parish in Hants, 5 miles NNW of Basingstoke station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Basingstoke. Acreage, 2079; population of the civil parish, 1115; of the ecclesiastical, 1043. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £135 with residence. Patron, the Bishop of Winchester. The church of St Peter is a small and ancient building of flint and brick in the Early English style. St Mary's Church is a small building erected in 1874. St Saviour's is an iron church in the rectory meadow. There are Congregational and Primitive Methodist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Tadley St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Kingsclere|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Tadley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Tadley (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Tadley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.