Swanmore, Isle of Wight
Swanmore, an ancient tithing in Droxford parish, Hants, was constituted a civil parish in 1894 with the addition of a small portion of Bishops Waltham parish. It lies 2 miles E by S of Bishops Waltham station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post and money order office under Bishops Waltham; telegraph office, Bishops Waltham. Swanmore House is a chief residence. The ecclesiastical parish was constituted in 1846. Population, 855. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £230 with residence. Patron, the Rector of Droxford. The church was built in 1845. A chancel was added in 1856, and a tower with clock and bells, south aisle, organ chamber, and vestry in 1876-77. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel and a working-men's club.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Swanmore from the following:
Online maps of Swanmore are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.