Southwick, a parish, with a village, in Hants, 2½ miles N of Porchester station on the L. & S.W.R., and 3 ENE of Fareham. It has a post office under Fareham; money order and telegraph office, Cosham. Acreage, 3884; population of the civil parish, 643; of the ecclesiastical parish, 927. There is a parish council consisting of six members. The man—r, with Southwick Park, belongs to the Thistlethwayte family. A Black friary stood anciently here, was the marriage place of Henry VI.; went, at the dissolution, to the Whites, and has left some scanty ruins. The living is a peculiar donative annexed to Boarhunt. The church is a building of rubble and flint in the Gothic style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Southwick St. James|
|Poor Law union||Fareham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Southwick from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Southwick (St. James))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Southwick are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.