Chilton, a village and a parish in Buckinghamshire, 5 miles N by W of Thame station on the G.W.R., including the hamlet of Easington, and with a post office under Thame; money order office, Long Crendon; telegraph office, Brill. Acreage, 2069; population, 287. Chilton House has an embattled porch. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £120. The church is an ancient building of stone in mixed styles, and contains monuments of the Crokes and an oak pulpit. There is also a small Congregational chapel. Sir George Croke, the patriotic judge of the time of Charles I., was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chilton St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Thame|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1730
Church of England
St. Mary (parish church)
The parish church of St. Mary is an ancient stone edifice in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave of three bays, south aisle, south transept, south porch, and a low tower with turret on the north side of the nave containing 3 bells: in the exterior east wall is the effigy of a knight in chain mail, placed vertically, and no doubt at some time removed from the interior: in the Croke chapel are some monnments and brasses to the Croke family: that of Sir John Croke, who died in 1608, and Elizabeth, his wife, d. 1611, has recumbent effigies of both, and rising from the altar tomb are columns of black marble supporting a canopy; below are 11 figures of kneeling children; a screen of the 16th century divides this part of the aisle from the rest: the chancel has been thoroughly restored and a stained window (the gift of Mrs. Chetwode) has been placed at the east end: the organ was the gift of Mr. Augustus Chetwode: in 1907 the church was restored by Sir Henry Aubrey-Fletcher bart. (d. 1910), and a new pulpit given by Agnes Lady Aubrey-Fletcher: there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Chilton was in Thame Registration District from 1837 to 1932 and Aylesbury Registration District from 1932 to 1974
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chilton from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chilton (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Chilton are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online