Sherfield upon Loddon, Hampshire
Sherfield-upon-Loddon, a parish, with a village, in Hants, 2½ miles of Bramley station, and 4 NE by N of Basingstoke station on the L. & S.W.R. and the G.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Basingstoke. Acreage, 2337; population, 619. There is a parish council of six members. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £550 with residence. The church is an ancient building of flint in the Decorated style, and has been restored. There are Baptist, Primitive Methodist, and Plymouth Brethren chapels, and a school with a small endowment.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sherfield-upon-Loddon St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Basingstoke|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sherfield upon Loddon from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sherfield-upon-Loddon (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Sherfield upon Loddon are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.