Sherfield English, Hampshire
Sherfield English, a rural parish in Hants, 4 miles W by N of Romsey station on the L. & S.W.R. Post town, Romsey. Acreage, 1848; population, 318. There is a parish council consisting of five members with a chairman. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £160 with residence. The church is plain.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sherfield-English St. Leonard|
|Poor Law union||Romsey|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sherfield English from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sherfield-English (St. Leonard))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Sherfield English are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.