Sherborne St John, Hampshire
Sherborne St John or East Sherborne, a parish, with a village, in Hants, 2¼ miles NNW of Basingstoke station on the L. & S.W.R. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Basingstoke. Acreage, 3972; population, 751. There is a parish council of six members and a chairman. The Vine belonged formerly to the Sandys family, was built in the early part of the 16th century by Lord Sandys and greatly altered by Inigo Jones, is an interesting mansion, has a chapel noticed enthusiastically by Horace Walpole, and is the seat of the Chute family. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £400 with residence. The church, originally of 12th century date, is chiefly Later English. The north aisle was added in 1854, and was well restored and enlarged in 1885. The church contains a mausoleum with some interesting brasses.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Sherborne St. John St. Andrew|
|Poor Law union||Basingstoke|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Sherborne St John from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Sherborne St. John, or East Sherborne (St. Andrew))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Sherborne St John are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.