Shalfleet, Isle of Wight
Shalfleet, a village and a parish in the W of the Isle of Wight. The village stands on a rivulet, l½ mile S of the Solent, and 5 miles from Newport station on the Isle of Wight Central railway. It has a post and money order office under Yarmouth; telegraph office, Yarmouth. Acreage of the civil parish, 5312; population, 887; of the ecclesiastical, 971. The parish extends to the coast, includes detached portions at Watchingwell and Hulverstone, and contains the hamlets of Newbridge, Brook Green, and Ningwood Green. Shalfleet manor belonged at Domesday to Gosselin Fitz Azor, passed to the Crown and to W. Montacute, Earl of Salisbury, and was given by that Earl to his abbey of Bisham in Berks. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £120 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is chiefly late Early English, includes portions of Norman, and has a large low ancient tower, surmounted by a shingled spire of 1808. There are Wesleyan, Primitive Methodist, and Baptist chapels.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Shalfleet from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Shalfleet)
Online maps of Shalfleet are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.