Chicheley or Chichley, a parish in Bucks, on an affluent of the river Ouse, 2½ miles NE of Newport-Pagnell station on the L. & N.W.R., and 6½ NE by E of Wolver-ton. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Newport-Pagnell. Acreage, 2071; population, 180. The manor, with Chicheley Hall, bnilfc in 1715, belongs to the Chester family. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford; net yearly value, £80. The church is Early English and good; consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, south porch, and central tower. It contains a curious brass representing a skeleton in a shroud.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chicheley St. Lawrence|
|Poor Law union||Newport-Pagnell|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register dates from the year 1539.
Church of England
St. Lawrence (parish church)
The parish church of St. Lawrence is an edifice in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of three bays, north aisle, south porch, with a room over it, and a central tower containing a clock and 6 bells, restored and rehung in 1905: the tower is of the time of Henry VII. the aisle dates from that of Richard II. the nave is of the 12th century, and the chancel was erected in the 18th century, and is said to have been designed by Sir Christopher Wren: a vestry was erected at the north of the chancel in 1914. The original holy water stoup remains at the south entrance: there are six stained windows: on the north side of the church, on the floor, is a brass, with effigies to Sir Anthony Cave, a merchant of the staple of Calais, dated 1558, another of remarkable character to Sir Anthony Chester, dated 1635, and a brass, representing a skeleton in a shroud, with a Latin inscription undated, but c. 1560, as well as a mural monument to Anthony Cave, erected in 1576: there is also a mural monument to the Cranmer family: the rood above the balustrade of the ringers' gallery was given by Mrs. Easson, wife of a former rector, the Rev. Utten James Easson M.A., in 1907 as a memorial to her mother: there are 200 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Chicheley was in Newport Pagnell Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chicheley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Chicheley (St. Lawrence))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Chicheley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online