UK Genealogy Archives logo
DISCLOSURE: This page may contain affiliate links, meaning when you click the links and make a purchase, we may receive a commission.

Sarisbury, Swanwick, and Curbridge, Hampshire

Historical Description

Sarisbury, Swanwick, and Curbridge form a chapelry in Titchfield parish, Hants, on the river Humble, 1½ mile from Swanwick station on the L. & S.W.R., with a post, money order, and telegraph office at Salisbury Green. For parish council purposes, with the adjoining ecclesiastical parish of St John, Lock's Heath, it has a parish council consisting of thirteen members. The chapelry was constituted in 1836, and included at that time Warsash and Hook, but now forms the separate ecclesiastical parish of St Paul, Sarisbury. Population, 1301. In the attached hamlet of Curbridge there is a mission-room, erected in 1893. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £340 with residence. Patron, the Vicar of Titchfield. The church is a neat edifice in the Early English style, and has been enlarged. There are also a Baptist chapel and a small iron church. Coldeast, Sarisbury Court, Brooklands, and Swanwick Glen are the chief residences.

Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England & Wales, 1894-5


The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.

Ancient CountyHampshire 
Civil parishTitchfield 
Poor Law unionFareham 

Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.

Directories & Gazetteers

We have transcribed the entry for Sarisbury, Swanwick, and Curbridge from the following:

Land and Property

The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.


Online maps of Sarisbury, Swanwick, and Curbridge are available from a number of sites:

Newspapers and Periodicals

The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:

Villages, Hamlets, &c


Visitations Heraldic

The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.