Rownhams, a chapelry in Nursling, Romsey, and North Baddesley parishes, Hants, 1½ mile from Nursling station on the L. & S.W.R., and 4½ miles NW of Southampton. It was constituted in 1856, and its post town is Redbridge, under Southampton; money order and telegraph office, Nursling. Population, 515. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; gross value, £160 with residence. The church is a handsome building of stone in the Decorated style, and contains some good stained glass windows. St John's Convalescent Home for Girls was erected in 1876.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Rownhams are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.