Chetwode, a parish in Buckinghamshire, on the verge of the county, 3½ miles from Fulwell and Westbury station on the L. & N.W.R., and 5 SW of Buckingham. Post town, money order, and telegraph office, Buckingham. Acreage, 1171; population, 170. The manor belonged to a Chetwode before the Conquest, and is still held by his descendants. An Augustinian priory was founded here in 1244. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Barton-Hartshorn, in the diocese of Oxford. The church belonged to the priory, and has a very fine Early English chancel, and some of the oldest stained glass in England. Dean Chetwode was a native.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Chetwood St. Mary and St. Nicholas|
|Poor Law union||Buckingham|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
The parish register of baptisms dates from the year 1779, that of marriages from 1756.
Church of England
SS. Mary and Nicholas (parish church)
The parish church of SS. Mary and Nicholas is formed out of the chancel of an Augustinian priory church formerly standing on the site; consequently the present nave and chancel are not separated in any way: a north chapel was added about 80 years after the rest of the building, or in 1330: there is a low tower at the north-west angle containing one bell: the chancel is a fine example, of Early English: the whole east end is occupied by five graceful lancets with bold mouldings and slender shafts: the north and south aisles are lighted by triplets of similar character, and on the south side is a rich arcade with light shafts supporting foliated caps and the toothed ornament in the mouldings: one arch of this arcade serves as a priest's doorway, and other arches as sedilia; the remains of ancient stained glan in the eastern windows, representing five figures, were some time since removed to the south window of the chancel; this glass dates from the 13th and 14th centuries, and is the earliest and best preserved for its date of any in the county: in the chancel is a slab inscribed to Risley Risley, 1755: during repairs to the church about 1868, portions of the original tiled paving of the church were discovered, both below the existing floor and in the yard in front, formerly covered by the nave of the conventual church: in the middle of the south aisle, close to the wall, a slab was found, incised with an eight-Cusped floriated cross, and with a marginal inscription in Norman-French, which, when perfect, ran Sir Jon Giffard gist icey De sa alme Dieu pur sa pitie eit mercy, and supposed to refer to Sir John Giffard, of Twyford, c. 1350; one of the tiles found appears to bear the arms of this family, viz.: 3 silver lions passant, on a field, gules: in or about 1822 the north chapel and the walls of the chancel, except part on the south side, were taken down and rebuilt: there is a tablet to the memory of Sir John Chetwode bart. who died Dec. 17, 1845, and was buried here: there are 120 sittings.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Chetwode was in Buckingham Registration District from 1837 to 1935
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Chetwode from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, 1848 (Chetwood (St. Mary and St. Nicholas))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Buckinghamshire is available to browse.
Online maps of Chetwode are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Buckinghamshire papers online:
A full transcript of the Visitation of Buckinghamshire, 1634 is online