Ropley, a parish in Hants, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 54 miles from London, and 4 E of Alresford. It has a post, money order, and telegraph office under Alresford. Acreage, 4684; population, 866. A very beautiful Roman torque, of a spiral form, was some years ago unearthed in a field, and is figured in Smith's " Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities." The parish is a resort of sportsmen. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £175 with residence. The church is ancient, and has been restored and enlarged. Recreation rooms were erected in 1884.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Ropley St. Peter|
|Poor Law union||Alresford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ropley from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ropley (St. Peter))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Ropley are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.