Portsea, a parish in the southern division of Hampshire, forming, with Portsmouth, Landport, Southsea, Portsmouth Harbour, and Gosport the seaport called Portsmouth. Portsea was formerly known as "Portsmouth Common," but assumed its present name by Act of Parliament in 1792.
For further history of the area please see the article on Portsmouth.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Portsea St. Mary|
|Poor Law union||Portsea Island|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Portsea from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Portsea (St. Mary))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Portsea are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
Villages, Hamlets, &cFratton
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.