Popham, a parish in Hants, 4 miles from Micheldever on the L. & S.W.R., and 7½ SW of Basingstoke. Post town and money order and telegraph office, Micheldever station. Acreage, 1440; population of the civil parish, 114; of the ecclesiastical, 176. The manor belongs to Lord Ashburton. Popham Beacon is 460 feet high, and commands a fine view. Popham Lane was part of the ancient Roman road. from Winchester to Silchester, and is followed by the railway. The living is a vicarage, annexed to the vicarage of Woodmancott, in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £150 with residence. Patron, Lord Ashburton. The church is a small building of flint in the Gothic style, and was erected in 1879.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Ecclesiastical parish||Popham St. Catherine|
|Poor Law union||Basingstoke|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Popham from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Popham (St. Catherine))
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Popham are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.