Pokesdown, an ecclesiastical parish in Christchurch parish, Hants, including the greater part of Boscombe and all Freemantle adjoining, with a station on the L. & S.W.R., 106 miles from London. It was constituted in 1859. Population, 4927. The living is a perpetual curacy in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £35. Patron, the Vicar of Christchurch. The church is a stone building in the Gothic style. There are Congregational and Wesleyan chapels.
Church of England
St. James (parish church)
The church of St. James, erected in 1858, is a building of stone in the Gothic style, from designs by the late G. E. Street esq. R.A. and consists of apsidal chancel, nave of three bays, north aisle (added in 1870), south porch and a turret at the west end containing one bell: three stained windows were placed in 1885, two of which are memorials: there are sittings for 260 persons.
Congregational Chapel, Southbourne Road
The Congregational chapel at Southbourne road, erected in 1858, will seat 440 persons.
Primitive Methodist Chapel, Hannington Road
The Primitive Methodist chapel, in Hannington road, was erected in 1897.
Wesleyan Chapel, Seabourne Road
The Wesleyan chapel in the Seabourne road, was erected in 1907 at a cost of £1,800.
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Pokesdown are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.