Ovington, a village and a parish in Hants. The village stands on the river Itchin, 2 miles WSW of Alresford station on the L. & S.W.R., and has a post office under Alresford ½ money order and telegraph office, Alresford. Acreage of parish, 1300; population, 114. Ovington Park is the chief residence. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester; net value, £85 with residence. Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church was rebuilt in 1866 on a site adjoining the old one, and is in the Decorated style.
The following is a list of the administrative units in which this place was either wholly or partly included.
|Poor Law union||Alresford|
Any dates in this table should be used as a guide only.
For general information about Civil Registration (births, marriages and deaths) see the Civil Registration page.
Directories & Gazetteers
We have transcribed the entry for Ovington from the following:
- Samuel Lewis' A Topographical Dictionary of England, by Samuel Lewis, seventh edition, published 1858. (Ovington)
Land and Property
The Return of Owners of Land in 1873 for Hampshire (County Southampton) is available to browse.
Online maps of Ovington are available from a number of sites:
- Bing (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- Google Streetview.
- National Library of Scotland. (Old maps)
- old-maps.co.uk (Old Ordnance Survey maps to buy).
- Streetmap.co.uk (Current Ordnance Survey maps).
- A Vision of Britain through Time. (Old maps)
Newspapers and Periodicals
The British Newspaper Archive have fully searchable digitised copies of the following Hampshire newspapers online:
- Portsmouth Evening News
- Hampshire Telegraph
- Hampshire Advertiser
- Hampshire Chronicle
- Aldershot Military Gazette
The Visitations of Hampshire, 1530, 1575, & 1622-34 is available to view on the Heraldry page.